Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Lewis May, ASLA, PSP Architects

Mr. May travels considerably out of the city and country. Because of this, it will be difficult for him to blog this week. Let's address it this way, let's get a discussion going based on the presentation he gives on April 13 and see where it takes us. Everyone must participate.

19 comments:

  1. One thing that Mr. May seemed to stress much was the opportunity in architecture to learn more about other cultures. However, it seems very difficult to get in a field such as that, where your career relies on overseas relationships with foreign speaking countries. It is a very appealing lifestyle, but it seems to come with a price in a few cases. First of all, how many languages do you speak, and how long has it taken you to learn all of these? It seems very important in culture and communication to understand the other nation's language, even if they are somewhat English speaking. And second of all, is family a very big issue with such a career, where you are out of the country more than in the country?

    When it came to the buildings, it was amazing to see such beautiful designs that were western in style but still geared toward the culture of the setting, but the best part about it was how it was completely un-tacky how it was done. For example, the hotel by the pyramids seemed to take into account all that an architect should of an area with such importance. It was funny to hear that such a tacky idea as a glass pyramid hotel meant to emulate the most famous pyramids on earth was actually an idea for the project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phillip:
    I have forwarded your entry on to Mr. May. One thing that I understand about PSP is that the vocabulary of their work is vernacular. Often, as you heard Mr. May talk about in reference to Ghery, the architect is hired for their 'product'. It's kind of like buying an iphone and not a storm. You buy the product from apple because you like what an apple product looks like, feels like and how you experience it. But, the way it looks at PSP is directly related to a response to the vernacular. This is why the work looks different from place to place.
    By your last comment, I'm clarifying that you are referring to the competition and not the work of PSP. It is another way of looking at your obligation as the designer. They felt the hotel should be the backdrop to the pyramids, not a contemporary emulation of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The most interesting thing to me was how Mr. May eluded to the diverse culture of Architecture. The examples he used were truly diverse. I was more interested in how the firm worked. For example, he had many diagrams of the urban layout and the urban culture of areas, but when does the design of the building come into play, and do they integrate the diagrams into the design?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would first like to thank Mr. May for coming in and speaking with us. I also agree with Brendon on this conversation, how does one differentiate between the bigger picture and that of the individual? I realize that an architect or designer has too "zoom in and then out" when focusing on a project but when does the vernacular styling within an area become repetitive and ornamental or as Phil put it simply "tacky." This is not to say I disagreed at all with the lecture, I though it was insightful and inspiring. I believe that the most meaningful question I could post to Mr. May, in my current position as a student, would be how he got into the business and how he gained the initial experience that obviously led him to being one of the most renowned planners of the day.
    Thanks again, I really enjoyed the presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately I, along with a few classmates, missed this lecture due to our fieldtrip to Austin to get a better understanding of the masonry and brick manufacturing process. Were there one or two pieces of advice from the presentation that someone would be able to pass along to the group of us who were absent due to our fieldtrip? Based on what was already said on the blog it seems that there was an interesting discussion of context which related nicely to the reading in chapter six.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought Mr. May's presentation provided great insight into the realm of practicing international architecture, and that his firm does a really good job in addressing the different cultures in a tasteful manner. However, I do wonder if there is often significant resistance from clients abroad to your design proposals, and if so, how do you resolve it?
    For example, if you were to design a building in India and developed a beautiful, contemporary design proposal, but had a client who wanted to showcase traditional Indian culture in a way that you (and most of us architecturally educated people) would consider tacky, how would you sway your client to compromise his/her decision?

    ReplyDelete
  7. As Peter said, I was unable to attend the lecture due to a field trip to Austin. Because of this, I'm unable to ask an informed question. However, I look forward to the questions put forth by my classmates and Mr. May's responses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am very thankful for Mr. May's presentation to our class. Thinking about the complexity of context on a global scale was a really interesting part of architecture. Like Brendon, I was also curious about how the architects and urban panners come together to produce cohesive and vernacular designs, especially when working on projects that are located so far away. Also, I was wondering what other areas of architecture aside from urban planning involve extended international travel and culture studies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like to thank Mr. May for taking the time out of his very busy schedule to come and speak with our class. During his presentation, he showed lots of pictures of places he has been and designs that he worked on. His job seemed very glamorous. But during the entire presentation, I couldnt help but wonder how his job has affected his personal life. I dont know if I could be away from my family that much.

    The other thing I was wondering, how many languages do you speak?

    ReplyDelete
  10. My question is...
    As an urban planner you are required to deal with very large developments, but at the same time I noticed that you also have an attention to detail that most Architects don't have. How would you recommend an young professional go about attaining the same broad concepts without losing what may be the most important aspect of some projects, the details?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like Eddie, wonder if there is often significant resistance from clients abroad to your design proposals, and how do you go about giving the client what they are asking for without out sacricining your own style?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that it was very interesting and great how Mr. May and PSP were able to incorporate the culture of each place they designed for by studying the locals and making sure to understand that even though the clients hired an American architecture firm, That doesn't mean that a building that they might built i8n Chicago would work well in this environment or especially that the client wouldn't want such a thing. Even if the client does want things to be "shiny and full of glass" as Mr. May said some do, I still don't think that they would just accept a typical American shiny building but would want the culture implemented into the design as well. I though that Mr. May and PSP achieved this balance very well and should be commended for it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mr. May’s presentation was very informative and captivating taking in all that he has done architecturally around the world. The first question that I have goes along with the person who wrote in as “anonymous” and this how it has affected his family life. Also the next question I have is in regards to the urban design aspect, I was wanting to know how design strategies would change going from one country to the next designing urban plans, because each country has a different historical way of designing their cities that is already laid out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it is a huge thing to learn about other cultures. It is an unattainable goal to be a complete architect, but I think I can speak for us all when I say I would like to come as close as I can. Most of us will have the opportunity to be a part of a project that is, aside from distance, far from what we know as home. To get a better sense of others culture means getting a better sense of what makes up the root of architecture, what makes up the context in the area you are working in, and finally what makes up the thoughts and feelings of the client your providing your service to. It is a wonderful idea to get as much traveling in as you can or maybe just as close to that researching far away countries to get a better feel of what’s out there and where your theories and ambitions collide or compare.

    ReplyDelete
  15. When hiring new employees do you try to find people with large international education backgrounds or worry more about architecture skills and teach the languages and other international knowledge as needed?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mr. May,

    Thank you so much for taking the time to speak with our class. I had one question about your experience working with different cultures. You spoke about how particular cultures have subtle aspects to them that you must learn in order to not only visit but actually operate and work within them. What was one of the hardest and 'oddest' aspects of a culture that you had a difficult time coping with in order to operate within, and how did you overcome this? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Although I was unable to attend class for Mr. May's presentation, I was wondering what were some of the greatest obstacles he has had to face working in a profession with so much cultural diversity.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The email with all of your queries has been sent to Mr. May. I've not yet heard back, but keep an eye on the post because there will be a response from him.

    ReplyDelete
  19. BLOG RESPONSES FROM LEWIS MAY
    PHIL HOFFMAN
    Phil, although I can speak several languages in polite conversation, the international language of business & commerce is English. My typical client is well educated and proud of their ability to converse in English and eager to learn more. I usually have a local associate or partner for those occasions when the local language is preferred. For all pracyical discussion, I am “married” to my career. My family, more often than not, are my colleagues, cohorts and clients. The only one that has a problem with my travelling is my dog, “Pearl”. I truly enjoy life to the fullest.

    BRENDON HOFFMAN
    Brendon, I am very process-oriented and truly believe that the context from which a form is derived is rooted deeply in genus loci. In that very rare “either” of a place, the diagrams impact or “inform” the design throughout the entire process.

    JONATHAN PACE
    Jonathan, I am going to refer you a biography and monograph of my work written as a Master’s of Landscape Architecture thesis by a student at UT Arlington. I encourage you and your classmates to give it a quick read. A lot of your questions are answered in that writing.

    EDDIE FORTUNA
    Eddie, first of all my clients are always the most important members of the team. With that being said, from programming to planning & design to build-out & occupancy, they are with me every step of the way. Clients should always influence the planning or design of a project. However, clients hire you for your professional skills and talents that they do not have. Through a collaborative client – architect process-driven approach, outcomes are seldom a surprise and are most successful when they reflect those collaborative team decisions.

    LE. RENTSCH
    As I mentioned in aprevious response; we practice architecture by team. Simplyput; everyone on the team contributes to both the product and the outcome.

    ANTHONY CHAMBLISS
    Anthony; you must have a passion for excellence and a true commitment to your craft if you are to meld planning and design. I have garnered over 150 design awards for my work over my career and still marvel in the details.

    MARSHAL DRENNAN
    I appreciate the comment.

    MICHAEL MORROW
    Michael, each city, region and country environment is indeed unique. So is each culture. However, the process by which we solve these complex urban issues seldom varies. It is through a client – planner – designer collaboration that a response that is truly routed in “place” is determined.

    PAUL LOWERS
    That was very well written Paul.

    KRISTIN TOMDALE
    I always look for the archirect who is eager to learn, grow, prosper and mature. And, who freely admits that the “journey” of architecture is a life long quest.

    MARK BUCHANAN
    Mark, there are so many unique and awesomely beautiful stories and “tales”…. I could write for hours. There are so many smells, tastes, sites, images and sounds. Please go to website where the UTA student posted her thesis. I believe you will find a few stories there. Just in case, I have attached a note to my studio from 1991, written while teaching at Oxford and planning a new college there………Enjoy!

    The note will be posted on the blog links as well as a link to a thesis written about Mr. Lewis by a student at UT Arlington.

    ReplyDelete