On-Line Course w/ MA Torres-MacDonald
TA, Layne Scott
Monday, May 3, 2010
Last Chapter Epilogue
Please post your overall impression about the book you read this semester. How did you feel it related to what you need to know as a practicing architect? Did it cause you to consider or reconsider architecture in a particular way and if so, how?
Tom Spector seemed to improve upon a possibly boring topic on the ethical architect by delving deep into the practice of architecture with interesting examples and information. It is very closely related to many of the things I think we will be encountering in architecture, and brings to mind many issues that are much more relevant than we expect. Architecture carries just as much, if not more responsibility than other careers when it comes to the ethics of decision making; however, it is also true that in architecture, there is not necessarily a "right" answer in any case. Because of this, there is even more responsibility on the architect to do the right thing when there is no clear path to take. This book did not cause me to reconsider architecture, but more just to keep an open mind regarding issues that may pop up later on in the field. As practicing architects, we will ALL be involved in an ethical decision making process at some point, and the book has taught us not to never take these decision lightly.
As young professionals, this book is a great learning tool. Tom Spector gives a great look through examples and testimonies of how ethics become an important part of a designer's professional life. We as people go through ethical dilemmas everyday whether it is through design or not. Ethics will always be a part of architecture as well as business in general. As Phil noted, sometimes there is not a "right" answer, but what Spector has done is given ways to properly and ethically make a decision that is best for the situation. Ethics of course will always come down to the designer and the person solely but a book such as this sets up a basic understanding to help young professionals.
Reading The Ethical Architect, made me ponder several questions that I had not thought about before. What stood out to me most from the readings was the dilemma in San Francisco of whether or not a piece of architecture should be torn down because of its “ugliness,” though at the time it still served as a functional building to many of its occupants. I appreciate the arguments of form vs function, though ultimately acknowledging that either side can’t win the dilemma at hand. Success in every situation is ultimately decided upon by the client and their view as to whether or not the final product meets their desires. Architects understand the responsibility to not only their client but the greater public as well, which requires a certain ethical approach, and means that many times we must represent the unrepresented. Finally, the “ethical architect” must continue to act in good faith while challenging desires of the client and the public. No two people are alike, and thus for certain no two architects are similar either. Each comes with their unique perspective, and all anyone can hope is that they act by guidance of ethical decisions generated by both the standard codes and the general well being of human kind.
My overall impression of this book is bittersweet. At times it made me think, other times it made me ask questions to myself, and a lot of times it was frustrating and slightly confusing. I can’t say I always agreed with what the author had to say, and felt that too often he provided too many questions without enough answers. I suppose he was leaving it up to the reader to decide how they feel about the topic. The frustrating parts arose when the author tried to get a little too poetic or theoretical, and it made me less interested in what he had to say. I did however appreciate when he made references to real world problems and different ways to look at them. The blog was a great tool for discussing this book because many times other students brought up topics or opinions that I had not really thought of while reading through the chapters. Having the benefit to see what other people had to say was great for the overall thought process. My only suggestion would be to push the discussion issue a little bit more for next time. If there were multiple responses between people asking more questions and drawing more conclusions, I think it would benefit the class as a whole.
After reading the ethical architect, I have been forced to think about architecture as more than plans, sections, and elevations. The design process as well as the finished product evokes multiple emotions and ideas in the eye of the viewer. There were times in the book where my opinion, as to whether or not a building was “pretty” or “ugly,” could vary from the norm, which is why I believe architecture is unique to any other profession. Two people can view the same building yet have two completely different perceptions of how the building works or appears.
The Ethical Architect has helped me take a step back, away from what is my own experience in architecture, and look at the field from a new perspective. Many of the topics approached were difficult ones, having no clear right or wrong answers, which makes them true ethical dilemmas. Often, things we take for granted or as common sense have strong purpose and it is important to understand why we do the things we do and what our choices might mean. I think this book has really helped me look at myself as a future architect and as a person.
As a young professional about to enter the working world of architecture, I think this book did a great job of providing an unbiased look at the different aspects of architecture, from aesthetic, to use, to style. I believe that differentiating between all of these different types of needs is important, and important to realize what a client is looking to embark in. Developing towards and working within a style is very important, but I believe that as Spector provided us with a brief of each of the elements described in chapters it will give us a firm basis in which to start our career, which is going to be little design at first and more following and being mentored.
The ethical architect has made me question several things, but it has also made me approach things in a different way. I have never worked in a firm but after reading this book I will have a better guidance on to how look at architecture and the field. I am glad that I read this book before going out to the field and even this early in my graduate years because it will also help in the way I approach design in studio. The examples provided in the book are very helpful, we can now have a better idea on what to if we encounter a similar scenario.
As I finish up Tom Spector's book I find myself recalling many of the topics that he brought about and went over within "The Ethical Architect." I felt that this book was in a word unorthodox. I feel that, especially in the early chapters that he find himself looking at a variety of different obstacles from a variety of views, but really never gets anywhere within the issues that are researched. However through a mostly neutral explanation of all of the philosophies and beliefs that he runs through, it in essence exposes the reader and forces you to either take a side or at least consider both. In this way the book was fairly insightful and enlightening and persuades the reader to act on and think about there own moral and ethical fortitude.
As someone that has been in the practicing field and not going back after this class, i feel this book has been a great learning tool. I have been able to take a step back and look at architecture and the practice of architecture in a different way. Now, instead of just looking at it as lines on a piece of paper I am able to look at the ethics behind it. Looking back through my readings and summaries I have come to realize that as individual topics i found myself a bit confused but now looking at how they have all come together and the final points Spector addresses have really brought it all together for me and taught me a lot.
The Ethical Architect eloquently bridged the hazy void between morality and design. Regardless of how I aligned with Spector’s stance from chapter to chapter, the methods and tactics he used to reach and define his conclusions were extremely beneficial. I will certainly use these processes in the future as I deal with colleagues, supervisors, and clients as these logical paths to understanding transcend culture and/or dialect. I now fully believe that an ethical architect is a conscious, active, and aware person; better able to asses, analyze and solve the problems placed before them.
The Ethical Architect was a good book to read because we have not yet entered the professional workplace yet and developed our own set of morals and standards to fallow. by having read this book we now have an idea of what decisions we might face and on some touchy subjects we can already start to answer them in our heads so that when we do get faced with a hard decision we will be able to make it quicker and with a positive assurance that it will be based on how we really feel.
I must admit, before reading Spector's "Ethical Architect", I had my own preconceived notions concerning ethics, morals, and the difference between the two. And although I disagreed with several issues he brought up, I will say, he introduced interesting ideas as ethical issues, which I would not have otherwise associated as such. For instance, I would not have associated the notion of firmness, commodity, and delight with issues of ethics. However, upon further investigation, and reading what my fellow classmates had to contribute, I have come to realize how significant a role ethics actually play (in these terms). My perception of ethics now goes deeper than a typical "Code of Ethics" one could expect to receive on the first day at a marginal job.
Before reading this book,and taking this class, I thought that ethics in architecture was just something that wouldn't affect me. After reading this book I realize what a strong role ethics plays in, not only architecture, but in all professioal practices. Ethics is something that isn't really tangible while as a student, but the text and the class gave me insight to a different understanding.
The Ethical Architect by Tom Spector provided a valuable insight to the course however some of the text was a little over my head. It seemed to jump around was a little wordy. The overall concepts in the chapters brought up very important and applicable situations. I found the text to be a valuable read overall. It did not make me reconsider architecture in a particular way, however it did make me look into some very important topics that I may not have otherwise done.
Reading the Ethical Architect throughout semester made me think about how other architects view the field of architecture especially in referencing the Vitruvian triad throughout an architect’s career. It also allowed me to look deeper into what kind of architect I feel I am, such as me being a pluralist and looking to fulfill both the function and aesthetics within a building and both are equally important. In example it allowed me to see the differences between how some architects feel their need to exceed building codes can be just enough to pass the code regulations or they need to exceed it to the complete fullest because to them that is reaching firmness.
Tom Spector seemed to improve upon a possibly boring topic on the ethical architect by delving deep into the practice of architecture with interesting examples and information. It is very closely related to many of the things I think we will be encountering in architecture, and brings to mind many issues that are much more relevant than we expect. Architecture carries just as much, if not more responsibility than other careers when it comes to the ethics of decision making; however, it is also true that in architecture, there is not necessarily a "right" answer in any case. Because of this, there is even more responsibility on the architect to do the right thing when there is no clear path to take. This book did not cause me to reconsider architecture, but more just to keep an open mind regarding issues that may pop up later on in the field. As practicing architects, we will ALL be involved in an ethical decision making process at some point, and the book has taught us not to never take these decision lightly.
ReplyDeleteAs young professionals, this book is a great learning tool. Tom Spector gives a great look through examples and testimonies of how ethics become an important part of a designer's professional life. We as people go through ethical dilemmas everyday whether it is through design or not. Ethics will always be a part of architecture as well as business in general. As Phil noted, sometimes there is not a "right" answer, but what Spector has done is given ways to properly and ethically make a decision that is best for the situation. Ethics of course will always come down to the designer and the person solely but a book such as this sets up a basic understanding to help young professionals.
ReplyDeleteReading The Ethical Architect, made me ponder several questions that I had not thought about before. What stood out to me most from the readings was the dilemma in San Francisco of whether or not a piece of architecture should be torn down because of its “ugliness,” though at the time it still served as a functional building to many of its occupants. I appreciate the arguments of form vs function, though ultimately acknowledging that either side can’t win the dilemma at hand. Success in every situation is ultimately decided upon by the client and their view as to whether or not the final product meets their desires. Architects understand the responsibility to not only their client but the greater public as well, which requires a certain ethical approach, and means that many times we must represent the unrepresented. Finally, the “ethical architect” must continue to act in good faith while challenging desires of the client and the public. No two people are alike, and thus for certain no two architects are similar either. Each comes with their unique perspective, and all anyone can hope is that they act by guidance of ethical decisions generated by both the standard codes and the general well being of human kind.
ReplyDeleteMy overall impression of this book is bittersweet. At times it made me think, other times it made me ask questions to myself, and a lot of times it was frustrating and slightly confusing. I can’t say I always agreed with what the author had to say, and felt that too often he provided too many questions without enough answers. I suppose he was leaving it up to the reader to decide how they feel about the topic. The frustrating parts arose when the author tried to get a little too poetic or theoretical, and it made me less interested in what he had to say. I did however appreciate when he made references to real world problems and different ways to look at them.
ReplyDeleteThe blog was a great tool for discussing this book because many times other students brought up topics or opinions that I had not really thought of while reading through the chapters. Having the benefit to see what other people had to say was great for the overall thought process. My only suggestion would be to push the discussion issue a little bit more for next time. If there were multiple responses between people asking more questions and drawing more conclusions, I think it would benefit the class as a whole.
After reading the ethical architect, I have been forced to think about architecture as more than plans, sections, and elevations. The design process as well as the finished product evokes multiple emotions and ideas in the eye of the viewer. There were times in the book where my opinion, as to whether or not a building was “pretty” or “ugly,” could vary from the norm, which is why I believe architecture is unique to any other profession. Two people can view the same building yet have two completely different perceptions of how the building works or appears.
ReplyDeleteThe Ethical Architect has helped me take a step back, away from what is my own experience in architecture, and look at the field from a new perspective. Many of the topics approached were difficult ones, having no clear right or wrong answers, which makes them true ethical dilemmas. Often, things we take for granted or as common sense have strong purpose and it is important to understand why we do the things we do and what our choices might mean. I think this book has really helped me look at myself as a future architect and as a person.
ReplyDeleteAs a young professional about to enter the working world of architecture, I think this book did a great job of providing an unbiased look at the different aspects of architecture, from aesthetic, to use, to style. I believe that differentiating between all of these different types of needs is important, and important to realize what a client is looking to embark in. Developing towards and working within a style is very important, but I believe that as Spector provided us with a brief of each of the elements described in chapters it will give us a firm basis in which to start our career, which is going to be little design at first and more following and being mentored.
ReplyDeleteThe ethical architect has made me question several things, but it has also made me approach things in a different way. I have never worked in a firm but after reading this book I will have a better guidance on to how look at architecture and the field. I am glad that I read this book before going out to the field and even this early in my graduate years because it will also help in the way I approach design in studio. The examples provided in the book are very helpful, we can now have a better idea on what to if we encounter a similar scenario.
ReplyDeleteAs I finish up Tom Spector's book I find myself recalling many of the topics that he brought about and went over within "The Ethical Architect." I felt that this book was in a word unorthodox. I feel that, especially in the early chapters that he find himself looking at a variety of different obstacles from a variety of views, but really never gets anywhere within the issues that are researched. However through a mostly neutral explanation of all of the philosophies and beliefs that he runs through, it in essence exposes the reader and forces you to either take a side or at least consider both. In this way the book was fairly insightful and enlightening and persuades the reader to act on and think about there own moral and ethical fortitude.
ReplyDeleteAs someone that has been in the practicing field and not going back after this class, i feel this book has been a great learning tool. I have been able to take a step back and look at architecture and the practice of architecture in a different way. Now, instead of just looking at it as lines on a piece of paper I am able to look at the ethics behind it. Looking back through my readings and summaries I have come to realize that as individual topics i found myself a bit confused but now looking at how they have all come together and the final points Spector addresses have really brought it all together for me and taught me a lot.
ReplyDeleteThe Ethical Architect eloquently bridged the hazy void between morality and design. Regardless of how I aligned with Spector’s stance from chapter to chapter, the methods and tactics he used to reach and define his conclusions were extremely beneficial. I will certainly use these processes in the future as I deal with colleagues, supervisors, and clients as these logical paths to understanding transcend culture and/or dialect. I now fully believe that an ethical architect is a conscious, active, and aware person; better able to asses, analyze and solve the problems placed before them.
ReplyDeleteThe Ethical Architect was a good book to read because we have not yet entered the professional workplace yet and developed our own set of morals and standards to fallow. by having read this book we now have an idea of what decisions we might face and on some touchy subjects we can already start to answer them in our heads so that when we do get faced with a hard decision we will be able to make it quicker and with a positive assurance that it will be based on how we really feel.
ReplyDeleteI must admit, before reading Spector's "Ethical Architect", I had my own preconceived notions concerning ethics, morals, and the difference between the two. And although I disagreed with several issues he brought up, I will say, he introduced interesting ideas as ethical issues, which I would not have otherwise associated as such. For instance, I would not have associated the notion of firmness, commodity, and delight with issues of ethics. However, upon further investigation, and reading what my fellow classmates had to contribute, I have come to realize how significant a role ethics actually play (in these terms). My perception of ethics now goes deeper than a typical "Code of Ethics" one could expect to receive on the first day at a marginal job.
ReplyDeleteLexie Lowers says:
ReplyDeleteBefore reading this book,and taking this class, I thought that ethics in architecture was just something that wouldn't affect me. After reading this book I realize what a strong role ethics plays in, not only architecture, but in all professioal practices. Ethics is something that isn't really tangible while as a student, but the text and the class gave me insight to a different understanding.
The Ethical Architect by Tom Spector provided a valuable insight to the course however some of the text was a little over my head. It seemed to jump around was a little wordy. The overall concepts in the chapters brought up very important and applicable situations. I found the text to be a valuable read overall. It did not make me reconsider architecture in a particular way, however it did make me look into some very important topics that I may not have otherwise done.
ReplyDeleteReading the Ethical Architect throughout semester made me think about how other architects view the field of architecture especially in referencing the Vitruvian triad throughout an architect’s career. It also allowed me to look deeper into what kind of architect I feel I am, such as me being a pluralist and looking to fulfill both the function and aesthetics within a building and both are equally important. In example it allowed me to see the differences between how some architects feel their need to exceed building codes can be just enough to pass the code regulations or they need to exceed it to the complete fullest because to them that is reaching firmness.
ReplyDelete