Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Professional's Presentation - Bonny McLoud, AIA - Gensler

Please take the time to post a query to Ms. McLoud for this week.

18 comments:

  1. Hello Ms. McLoud,

    Thanks very much for taking the time to talk to our class. I thought it was very interesting that you work at Gensler, because just today I set up an interview with the company in Dallas regarding a summer internship. And ironically, I think that you marketed Gensler very well to me, and made me even more excited to go in for an interview.

    I know during class that we talked about how a firm can market their products and services to clients. There appears to be a whole lot more to it than what meets the eye, and it is obviously a very important issue to anyone entering the field of architecture. However, I have a question about another area. What is the best way for us as young professionals to market ourselves to the firms we are applying at? It seems like every firm is looking for something different in terms of technology knowledge, services and goals, so it is difficult for us to market ourselves specifically to each employer. Also, what kind of questions should we be asking about a firm that are most important to our possible future with them? I have worked only two internships, but both were at very small firms, not even comparable to Gensler, so I don't have that kind of experience.

    Thanks for the help.

    Phil Hoffmann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. McLoud,
    Thank you for coming to talk to our class. I thought it was really great when you talked about how marketing happens all of the time and that everyone markets for their firm, from the interns to the principals to the office personnel. The example you gave about the client that called and wanted to work with the curly haired girl was great. I worked in a firm where our receptionist had a bad attitude on the phone when anyone called our office. Clients would tell me all about how the receptionist would be rude to them! They would tell me that she didn't need to answer the phone! These were already clients of ours, but I couldn't even imagine what a potential client would think! Eventually word got around to the people in charge, and they moved her to a different position, but this example just goes to show that everyone in an office reflects on that office. Having a good attitude all around will improve the office environment and make it a good place for clients to be.
    -Lexie Lowers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms. McLoud,
    Thank you for speaking to our class. It was really great to hear about some of the other sides of the profession. I was wondering how you approach marketing projects that have problems or don’t end well, or if you even market them at all? I have seen firms that just can't seem to overcome problem after problem with the project and clients and in the end the project was completed but probably didn't turn out as best as it could have because of many different factors. I just wasn't sure how someone, such as yourself, would approach a situation like this.
    Thanks, Kristin Tomdale

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ms. Mc Cloud,
    Thank you so much for coming and talking to our class! I like to hear about the business side of architecture because I see myself as working on that side of the business one day. I am wondering how do I start to get involved in that side of the business? When I graduate and go into the work force what do I do, within the firm, to be seen as a person who will work the business end?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ms. McLoud,
    Thank you for taking the time for our class last week. I have a semi-specific question regarding marketing-- Working for a large firm, do you feel it is more beneficial to have a marketing staff handle graphics for a project, or to have architectural staff, who know the projects more better than anyone handle the marketing? I am personally very interested in the graphic aspect of architecture, however, I do acknowledge the talent/education level of an expert. What is your take?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate those of you that participated in the blog this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ms. McLoud,
    One of the first comments you made was that if you could go back you would get your MBA as well. Do you think that it is an asset to everyone working in the architecture profession or just those that wish to participate more in the business aspects? Thank you for coming to speak with our class. I really appreciated hearing about Gensler and your role in the architecture profession.

    Thank you,
    Allison Schirmer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ms. McLoud,

    I am currently in the process of getting my MBA in addition to my M.ARCH and will be finishing this upcoming summer. I know that you believe that this is a very valuable addition to one's assets, and I was curious as to how you believe this addition affects entry level employees in firms. I've always been interested in the business and marketing sides of architecture in addition to design, but have always pursued my MBA in addition to my M.ARCH in order to have increased opportunity to rise within a firm, but would like to hear what benefits (if any that are valuable to the extent worth mentioning) you have seen an MBA have on an entry level employee. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ms. Mcloud,

    I am also doing the MBA and M Arch like Mark and would be very interested to see what you have to say about having the extra degree on an entry level employee. and going with the question what about having a LEED associate and RAS certification by the time one graduates and is seeking a job? I guess these are questions in marketing yourself vs a firm. The information would be great and thanks for your time

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Ms. McLoud

    I would first of like to thank you for your time in coming in a speaking to us. I had a few questions regarding the marketing of an architect/ architectural firm. The first would be at what point when evaluating a certain project does one possibly pursue and request a RFP, regarding the chances that the firm has of winning a job, and what would be the deciding factors for letting a job go?
    The other question that I had for you would be at what point does the "boiler plate" take context within the repetition of requests and proposals, and what measures do you take to ensure that these documents still have an authenticity towards the particular project or client that you are sending them to.
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ms. McLoud

    Thank you again for taking time to come and speak with the class about your experiences and educating us on the importance of architectural marketing. You stressed the importance of getting an MBA along with our architecture degrees and I was wondering how you, as a professional high up in a large firm, view the credentials of a prospective employee who is just wanting to deal with the design side of the firm, and the importance of them having an MBA versus one that just has their M.ARCH.

    Thank you,
    Michael Morow

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonny,

    Thank you for your invaluable insight. It is rare, in school, that we hear anything regarding the "realistic" approach to architecture and I think you presented a refreshing set of ideas that may better prepare us for the work place.
    I liked the thought that, it is not all about establishing new clients, but also about keeping the ones you already have. What are some key procedures in your mind to getting this done? Do you hold client appreciation events, or send gifts for Christmas. How far do you take it and do you do different things for clients with different levels of importance?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Ms. Mcloud,

    Thank you for sharing your knowledge on marketing. I wanted to ask about a firms marketing staff. Are these people that studied Architecture, Business of both? I think a big part of marketing something is having a vast knowledge of the product or profession. Can a firm hire their own marketing staff long term or are they just consultants?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ms. McLoud,
    Thank you for speaking with our class. I had some question about Gensler’s marketing approach towards the Discovery Tower in downtown Houston. This past summer I was fortunate enough to get to tour the building with the Curtis Clerkley Jr. Architecture Academy. After your discussion, it sparked a few questions relating to its marketing plan. How much interaction did Gensler have with the group responsible for Discovery Green? Did Discovery Green jump on board when they first heard of the plans, or did they need some convincing? Did the client pick the site specifically because of its close relationship to Discovery Green, or was that something that Gensler wanted to push to help with marketing the sustainable features? If the tower were located on another site, how would the marketing plan have changed? Thanks again, and I look forward to hearing from you.
    v

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ms, McLoud,
    Thank you for speaking to our class and sharing your personal knowledge with us. During your presentation you gave a specific example of a marketing campaign in which you and your team were very creative with your marketing approach and because of this were given the comission. This relates to my question because I was wondering if there has ever been an incident where you know that you and your team missed or lost a potentially huge client because of missing an oppourtuntiy to market Gensler to them, seeing as how everyone is a marketer and how marketing happens everyday?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ms. McLoud,

    Thank you for speaking to us last week! As architects, the majority of our clients are returning clients. I know that we need to have good judgment on what projects the firm should take, but after rejecting a loyal client's proposal, how would you go about in keeping them as a reccuring client?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, Rocio, you beat me by 5 minutes, took my question too. Hmm

    Ms. McLoud,

    I probably seem like a broken record, but thanks for talking with us last week. As Rocio's comment is the only one I have read, I apologize if I am repeating a question. Does your job extend beyond just bringing in clients and maintaining a relationship with them? Once you find a client and they accept the project, do you help present the project itself? Do you show them floor plans, talk about transportation, explain materials and layouts and so on? Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ms. McLoud,

    Thank you for speaking with our class last week. The information on product marketing was fantastic. It was neat to think of a firm from that direction. I agree with the fact that you should always be a positive representative of your firm or workplace, you never know how it might change your position within the company. I have a question based on another architecture area you have experience in. I was wondering how it was that you got into the area of interior architecture. It is something that I am interested in doing in the future and I'm not sure how to get into one specific area or another in a firm. Is it something that is a popular option for architects within large firms? Thank you for your advice!

    -Lauren Rentschler

    ReplyDelete